  • From: "Lindsay Morton" <lindsaymlac.school.nz>
  • To: <secondaryenglishmailinglist.tki.org.nz>
  • Subject: [Secondary English] RE: ww2 texts: a stroppy reader and writer responds....
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:02:46 +1200

While this might sound like I'm defending the book (actually I agree very
much with Tania), last year I had to study it for a Kid Lit paper at Masters
level. There was really nothing I enjoyed or found challenging about the book
on first reading, but analysis in the context of power structures between the
characters turned up some interesting conclusions.

And while our students aren't going to be analysing the writing style too
closely, there's definitely value there in exploring the relationships
between each of the characters in the book, but particularly Bruno and the
minor (marginalised) characters in terms of power. I'm guessing most people
see this novel's value in the ending, but if I was teaching it I'd
concentrate more on who holds the power, how they get the power, and get the
kids to reflect on how power works in their own families/friendship
groups...and if I was brave...in marginalised groups at school.
(Hmm...sounding a bit like 'The Wave'???) To me, the book is pedestrian in
many ways, but looking at it from this perspective is *gulp* actually very
interesting - and valuable.

Lindsay Morton

Longburn Adventist College

PO Box 14001